Friday, July 21, 2006

Vast Distances (part 2 of 2)

Continuation of 4. Vast Distances (part 1 of 2)

At the incredible speed of one- tenth of the speed of light, the trip to Proxima Centuri (Alpha Centuri C), one way, would still take 47 years. One would need, however, enormous amounts of energy for such acceleration, roughly equivalent to the total energy that the world’s largest hydroelectric power station, with all 18 of its turbines running, generates in 4 days.

Furthermore, in every cubic kilometer (approx. 1/4 of a cubic mile) of space, there are an estimated 100,000 dust particles (made up of silicate and ice) weighing only a tenth of a gram. But at such a velocity, colliding with even one of these tiny objects could destroy a spaceship.

Sign of Design: Even though the Bible's purpose is not to teach history as such, the history it teaches is true.

4 comments:

Kaitlin said...

Wow! I don't think I'd ever like to run into a dust particle in space. Then again, I don't particularly want to go to space. :)

These posts have been incredible, Zac!

Elizabeth Pruett said...

Zac,
Space is both dangerous and beautiful (I like the picture you used.) The dust issue reminds me of my three resolves to living a long life (after obedience to parents.)

1. Never go deep sea diving.

2. Never climb an incredibly tall mountain.

3. Never go into space.

Elizabeth

Bryce said...

Great posts Zachary!

Elizabeth, I have one additional suggestion for you.

4. Never go sky diving, after all, who would want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane?

Elizabeth Pruett said...

I agree, Bryce. My list would be a lot longer if I spent some time on it. In the mean time I guess sky diving could go in the "Never go into space” category.