Sunday, April 30, 2006

Josh Harris on Modesty

Josh Harris had a couple of very good posts about modesty on your wedding day.

Below is a snippet of what he wrote:

Modesty on Your Wedding Day
If tackling the topic of modesty weren't brave enough in and of itself, my sisters over at Girltalk have opened a much-needed conversation about modesty in wedding attire. No, men, your rented tuxedos and plastic shoes are not the source of temptation they're addressing. They're talking about dresses for the bridal party. Here's a portion of a quotation they share by pastor Todd Murray...

He also had a follow up post, that highlighted a comment left on his previous post. It was in response to a person's comment who tried to justify immodest dress on the wedding day.

To read the posts click a link below:

Post 1

Post 2


I'm not going to concentrate on the human side of this, they did an excellent job addressing that in their posts and comments. Instead I want to consider Christ's bride, the church. Jesus says, in Rev. 16:15, that we need to keep watch and not be caught "immodest". Are we ready? Will we be gloriously attired on our wedding day with Christ? These aren't clothes made by hands with cotton or wool, but our spiritual beauty made by what we do for Him.


The Bride eyes not her garment, but her dear Bridegroom’s face;
I will not gaze at glory but on my King of grace.
Not at the crown He giveth but on His pierced hand;
The Lamb is all the glory of Immanuel’s land.
- (Hymn) "The Sands of Time Are Sinking"

6 comments:

Kaitlin said...

Wow Zachary! That's superb. I really like the way you changed it around to look at Christ's Bride.

Elizabeth Pruett said...

Zachary,
Great thoughts. Wedding attire has become alarmingly immodest in the past years. Just recently, Susanna and I were looking at pictures of dresses and other clothing from past centuries. I am afraid the wearers of those early dresses would be alarmed at what brides wear now. In poorer places, the wedding dress was simply the nicest thing she had and preferably new. It would be used many times throughout the years as her “good clothes.”

I liked how you brought in the attitude of the church in preparation for Chris’s coming. Excellent post!

Elizabeth

Wholesome Works said...

Elizabeth,

Thank you for the comment, but I have to ask. Who is Chris? Why is Chis coming? And when is Chris coming?

Just kidding! I know what you meant. :)

Zachary

Elizabeth Pruett said...

Hey Zachary,
I cannot believe that I didn't catch that! I can pull a Chris out of the woodworks though. An old friend of ours from Massachusetts might work. Unfortunately Christopher P. is not coming for a visit anytime soon.

Elizabeth

P.S.
I hpoe terhe are no tpyos tihs tmie.

Brittney said...

Great article! Thanks for posting this. The hymn you quoted is so beautiful and means a lot to me. My sister played it on the piano at her wedding while 2 friends sang it. When they got to that part ("The Bride eyes not her garment...") she stole a glance up at her groom and smiled at him... Ah... and it was caught on video :).

Keep up the good work!

Bryce said...

Zachary,

That is very good, thanks.