Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Afghan Man Facing Death for Conversion

Afghani Abdul Rahman, 41, is facing the death penalty for violating an Islamic law that states you can’t convert from Islam to any other religion.
Mr. Rahman converted to Christianity while working for a Christian aid agency at the end of the 1980s and told the judge he had no regrets.

Mr. Rahman’s charges may get dropped on a claim of insanity. Though no journalists have been allowed to interview him, Zalmai, the chief prosecutor in the case said, “He doesn’t speak like normal people… We are delaying the next hearing for him to be examined by doctors to establish his sanity.”

Analysts in Kabul suggest that the Western-backed government of President Hamid Karzai is seeking to avoid the case producing a conviction.

The U.S., Italy and Germany, all donors towards Afghanistan’s reconstruction and contributors to the international force of 30,000 foreign troops based in the country, have criticized Afghanistan's charges against Mr. Rahman.

Something I would like to point out; Mr. Rahman is facing this sentence alone*.

This is a great encouragement for me. Though it is unlikely I will ever face death for my Christian belief in America, I am often the “odd one out” when it comes to many of the people I‘m around.

Being different is hard. With God’s help I can live the way He wants me to… Even unto death.


Please pray for Mr. Rahman, that God may be glorified.

*When I say alone, I mean the way humans view alone. Jesus is always with the Christian.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Pruett said...

Zachary,
Hello from Albuquerque!

I will be praying for this man. It is creating quite a stir in the news world.

Elizabeth