Friday, September 08, 2006

100

A devotion for today.


Peaceful Anxiety

READ: Philippians 4:4-13

The peace of God . . . will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
PHILIPPIANS 4:7

I was scheduled to teach at a Bible conference outside the US and was waiting for my visa to be approved. It had been rejected once, and time was slipping away. Without the visa, I would lose an opportunity for ministry, and my colleagues in that country would have to find another speaker at the last minute.

During those stressful days, a co-worker asked how I felt about it all. I told him I was experiencing “peaceful anxiety.” When he looked at me rather quizzically, I explained: “I have had anxiety because I need the visa and there is nothing I can do about it. But I have great peace because I know that, after all, there is nothing I can do about it!”

It’s comforting to know that such things are in our Father’s hands. My inability to do anything about the problem was more than matched by my confidence in God, for whom all things are possible. As I prayed about the situation, my anxiety was replaced by His peace (Phil. 4:6-7).

The problems of life can be taxing on us—physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Yet, as we learn to trust in the Father’s care, we can have the peace that not only surpasses all understanding but also overcomes our anxiety. We can be at rest, for we are in God’s hands. ~Bill Crowder

Oh, the peace I find in Jesus,
Peace no power on earth can shake,
Peace that makes the Lord so precious,
Peace that none from me can take. ~Beck

When we keep our minds on God, God will keep our minds at peace.


P.S. This is my one-hundredth post! And I hope to return to normal posting sometime next week.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Pruett said...

Congratulations on your 100th post! I still have a ways to go yet. I think my count is in the 80s.

I have experienced “peaceful anxiety” a few times. It is usually when my family is late, and there is absolutely nothing I can do about it!